Thursday, August 12, 2010

Matt's going to Taipei

Two weeks ago, I went on record and predicted that Matt would get his mission call to the Taiwan, Taipei Mission. I was even willing to bet a week's worth of laundry on my prediction being correct. Of course, no one blinked an eye at that, because one of my regular household chores is doing the laundry. Furthermore, I'm one of those strange creatures that actually likes doing the laundry. All those neatly folded piles of clothes bring me great comfort in my daily battles with a world in chaos.

But I digress. Yesterday Matt got his mission call.

Matt opening his mission call.


Matt reading his mission call.


Sure enough, the old man was right--Matt's going to Taipei, and he enters the MTC on November 17.

Matt and J-girl celebrating the news.


Seconds after this picture was taken, J-girl was sitting at the table and trying to discreetly wipe away her tears. Being a typical mom, the arrival of this letter felt like her son was being taken away from her at that very moment. Me, on the hand, I'm much better at denial. The boy has over three months before he leaves, and I can spend at least two of those months pretending he will be around forever. It's not until I make that trip to Mr. Macs that my chest will start tightening and I'll start wondering how life can go on with one more empty chair at the dinner table.

Oh, and now that I've been proven right, I also want it to go on the record that no one, and I mean NO ONE, has come out and said how incredibly smart or spiritually in tune I am for having correctly predicted Matt's mission call. I know that if I had been wrong, I would have received a lot of (negative) feedback. I think I have earned the right to be called "O great and wise one." You can call me OGAWO for short.

3 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

Yahoo!

So what is your guess for when I go on a mission as an old lady, Mr. OGAWO?

Danielle Mendel said...

Sibes!

how incredibly smart and spiritually in tune you are for correctly predicting his mission call. My brother is putting his papers in next week, would you like to predict his call? If you're right I will to a week's worth of transcribing... oh wait... that's my job that I get paid for... :)

Karie said...

I brag to everyone that you totally picked it! I don't tell them how spiritual you are (everyone already knows that) but I do them what great "buns" you have and how much I love them! Yum-Bo!