Thursday, August 28, 2008

The fruit flies can die, too

J-girl has been buying a lot of fruit from local vendors, and along with the fruit has come a massive invasion of fruit flies. Our house gets attacked by fruit flies every August. They start out in the kitchen where the fruit is, and then eventually end up in all of the bathrooms. One year we didn't get rid of them until April.

Instead of buying fruit fly traps or spraying poison, we have opted for a more high-tech approach. J-girl gets out the cannister vacuum and sucks them up. I have to admit that it's kind of addictive, hunting down the little pests and then sucking 'em right out of the air. It's not very practical, though, because it only reduces their numbers for the brief time it takes for the next batch to hatch out.

I've been wondering why we have such a problem with fruit flies and our neighbors don't. Last night I caught one of the little guys and took a close look at it. I nearly screamed in horror when I realized that it was the McCain variety of fruit fly. Being a democrat surrounded by republican neighbors, the fruit fly infestation finally made sense. They're not going away until I finally turn to the dark side and put McCain posters out on my lawn. They may even want me to make a donation to the republican party.

I refuse to be intimidated, though. I figure that they will all keel over and die if Obama wins the election. And if he doesn't, well, it won't matter anymore, because my neighbors will be a lot more difficult to live with than fruit flies.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if Obama won the “McCain flies” are the last thing you will be worried about. I think that you will be more focused on the raised taxes on industry and on essentials like electricity and gasoline, raising of the minimum wage to $9.00 which would bring inflation and the elimination of ma and pa shops across the country all while it destroyed rural communities, The government support through finance of stem cell research which I like to call “babykilling”, the lengthening of lines and reduction in quality for our health service not to mention the elimination of specialty doctors who can treat cancer and other life threatening diseases, government dependency of individuals through increased bureaucracy and welfare which would prevent the reduction in unemployment, The expansion of abortion and the thoughtless killing of innocent children of God, and the legalization of marriage between any consenting things that can move…can you say Sodom and Gomorra? I think that I would rather have millions of “McCain flies” than Senator Barrack Obama as President.

Anonymous said...

P.S. without flies how would we get rid of all the crap in Washington?

splinger moosebutt said...

Wow, I was right. Mute McCain fruit flies are WAY more tolerable (and tolerant) than mindless party-line-spewing republicans. Sorry little guys. I'm still going to suck you up with my vacuum cleaner, but I won't complain about you anymore.

Anonymous said...

Mission Accomplished!

Chlorine Addict said...

You just really hate bugs lately, don't you?

Lacking Productivity said...

I ... I ... I have nothing to add here.