Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Repetitive Clothes Wearing

My daughter wore the same thing today to her second day of school as she did on her first day. It's not that she didn't have anything else clean to wear. It's that the outfit was her first choice, was free from any large dirt stains, and was already out of her drawers and lying on the floor, easy to put on for a second day of school. It also helps that her mom and dad didn't realize she wore the exact same thing to school a second time until well after the school day was over. We're not really at the top of our game in the mornings at our house.

As the person who does the laundry in the house, I appreciate an extra day of wear in between washes. And yet, I still feel a little uneasy about it all. I was raised with the understanding that you had to at least change your shirt every school day. My mom also insisted that we change our underwear daily, but since she couldn't see 'em, I didn't change 'em. My daughter, on the other hand, regularly changes her underwear and then puts the same clothes right back on. She brags that last year she wore the same outfit to school for an entire week. We didn't even notice.

Some days I find myself wanting to follow my daughter's example. I think to myself, how many days in a row can you wear the same slacks to work? I figure that if a weekend occurs in between two of the work days, I can get at least an extra day of consecutive wearing. I also wonder if it's OK to wear the same shirt twice in the same week. Will people really know that I didn't wash it between wearings? Would they care if they knew?

And every year, I care a little less about the dos and don'ts of repeated clothes wearing. I'm planning on wearing the exact same clothes two days in a row this semester to see if anyone notices. Who knows? By the time I'm in my sixties, I might have narrowed my work wardrobe down to a favorite shirt and pair of pants that I'll wear the entire semester. And then again, my mom might catch wind of it and start showing up to dress me each morning. Even if she does, she still won't be able to make me change my underwear!

6 comments:

Karie said...

Just no ironing clothes when they are on you!
Get "wind" of it...that is why she knows you need to change the undies!
My kids have done the samething..at least she didn't sleep in them.

Chlorine Addict said...

I never wear the same clothes twice a week. The more times you change, the more they have to be washed, which means more energy consumption and more water use. Just doing my part to destroy the environment.

Steverino said...

Not at your best in the mornings? I know what you mean. One Sunday when my wife was out of town, the Nursery leader at church very kindly told me she thought my daughter's dress was on backwards. She was right, of course.

Lacking Productivity said...

I love this whole A-day B-day schedule I'm starting into...that means I can wear the same thing twice as long as it is on the opposite day.

J-Girl said...

The only purpose of morning is for moping, it's inhumane to have to think in the morning. I'd put on the same outfit everyday if I could get away with it.
I wear the same dress to church every Sunday, it's wonderful!!!

J-Girl said...

I'm slow, I know. I'll command on your BLOG sooner next time.